Symonds Yat is a village in the Wye Valley and a popular tourist destination, straddling the River Wye in the English county of Herefordshire, very close to the Gloucestershire border. It is within a few miles of Monmouthshire and the Welsh border.
The two settlements either side of the river are known as Symonds Yat (West) and Symonds Yat (East) and are linked by a footbridge and passenger ferries. Nearby is Symonds Yat Rock.
want to canoe? is a family-run business operating out of nearby Hay-on-Wye. We will provide you with all you need, from canoe and equipment to advice on what to see and do in the area, and what wildlife to look out for (from kingfishers to otters). Whether you’re after a leisurely half-day outing for you and your family or a multiple-day camping adventure with friends, want to canoe? have you covered.
We have helped hundreds of happy customers create amazing memories for themselves as they paddle through miles of unspoilt countryside, beautiful orchards, quirky little towns and historic villages. As the Wye’s premier left bank canoe hire centre, want to canoe? have forged an enviable reputation for providing truly memorable experiences to people of all ages and fitness levels. Have a browse round the website, then give us a call with any questions – we’re here to help!
Have a look at our route itineraries here.
Places to eat, drink, and sleep
- The Blue Boar, Three Tuns, Baskerville Hall, The Swan Hotel, Tomatitos, Hay Tourist Info, Visit Hay
- Racquety Farm , Baskerville Hall, Hay Tourist Info, Visit Hay
- Racquety Farm , The Start Bed and Breakfast, Baskerville Hall, Pottery Cottage, The Bridge, The Swan Hotel, Hay Tourist Info, Visit Hay
- The Hope and Anchor Inn, The White Lion
- Ross on Wye Rowing Club, The White Lion
- The Hope and Anchor Inn
Symonds Yat East
- Saracens Head, The Royal Lodge
- Symonds Yat East Campsite
- Saracens Head, Garth Cottage, The Royal Lodge